Close
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    did intrik play a round and kill you or something jekt

Quote Originally Posted by Jekt View Post

• Massive delays between rounds and multiple countdown timers make the objective servers unbearable

I agree: too much time between games. It's a massive turn-off, and usually leads me to quit the game and actually do something productive. Like a minimum of 15 seconds from properly joining a match in progress to playing the game? 45 seconds of post-game reports? 15 seconds of countdown after all loadouts and maps are locked in? Really?

My biggest concern (among others) for this game is the performance. Since the new patch I had to revert to the default config and wow, on low settings and low res I was getting sub 100 fps with dips down to about 70.

Kind of a shame that some game developers aren't taking a performance-first approach to developing their games. It seems to be this view that optimisation can be done all at the end once the game is complete, but that whole principle seems very flawed. It was with ns2 and is with this game. Optimisation should be a key ingredient baked into the product, not a superficial sprinkling of icing sugar at the end.

Unless they increase the customisation that you can do in-game without having to edit config files that break after every patch, I think the potential player base will be highly limited with regards to both the casual gamer population and more competitive players.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayar View Post
    did intrik play a round and kill you or something jekt

Quote Originally Posted by tumhole View Post

How long have you been holding onto this gem! The Big Dom won't be impressed.

So some NS people you might have heard of participated in the ESL Dirty Bomb cup today. They were 1 play from making the grand final in an intense ending to the series.

Eiss, Fana and Zups + 2 others I don't think were NS players.
    http://www.twitch.tv/esl/v/5285530

how long before Fana calls the game broken and stops playing? hehEhe
    Last edited by bonage; 22-05-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Hey everyone,

Just thought I would let you know that some ns2 friends are competing in a One Day Cup for dirty bomb. here is the twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/teamdowntv1
    Here is the bracket: http://challonge.com/BDALT

The schedule looks to be 5:30 for the semis and 7:00 for the grand final. Go and see asc. and SHAFT live on in a different form! (as far as I know mf is the only ns2 player for this iteration of asc. Shaft however has some more I believe).

Since no one has posted here in a while, I might do a short update on the state of the game in a bit.

ez game

LOL so according to these results, Huto is actually the best team in dirty bomb. Confirmed.

Is this the game that most AusNS2 players are migrating over to?
    This game worth getting into compared to csgo?

Might have to try this out one weekend to see what's it like.

Why did they put tourneys in the middle of exam block?

Hmm, I wouldn't say most, but there is certainly an interest in the game. Not just Australia either, as Jekt mentioned in a post above there are quite a few European and NA players from ns2 who are taking an interest in the game.

One of the advantages of migrating to Dirty Bomb from ns2 is that there is similar kind of aim involved. Because of the higher time it takes to kill a target compared to cs go, there is a lot of tracking aim and the shotguns work quite similarly as well.

I have played a bit of cs go, and I think its a great game. Certainly no reason not to play both. I think however that Dirty Bomb is just a more natural transition because of the aiming reasons stated above.

As far as how the game has progressed in recent times, here is a bit of a short list of things off the top of my head:

-The game has moved into open beta, so there are a lot more players than there were as the game is now free to play. You certainly won't struggle to find an aussie server with players in it. For about the last week, the playerbase hasn't really been dropping below 3k players during off peak, which is pretty good I would say all things considered. I wanted to find a graph of NS2's retail launch to compare, but i couldn't. While DB is not perfect it certainly feels like there are less serious issues than what NS2 had at launch time (and consider that dirty bomb isn't even launched yet).
    - Overall, the classes are pretty unique and enjoyable to play with a few weaker outliers like Arty.
    - Aura heal stations have a deploy time now making them less of an instant invincibility machine and more of way to hold a position. There are also more AoE damage classes available like Nader and Fletcher who can do away with the heal station.
    - Since the introduction of other assault classes like rhino and nader, Fragger seems more balanced in this context and the role that he plays.
    - The loadout system still exists, but cards above bronze (which are fairly easy to craft or get with money and in-game credits) only change the cosmetics. One thing that is silly about this system is that cards aren't very well balanced, i.e. there is usually a card that trumps all the others in terms of perks, although there are some situational alternatives maybe.
    - Weapon balance seems decent, apart from a few OP and UP outliers.
    - There are Aus mm servers, but matchmaking as a whole is pretty underwhelming because of a few annoying bugs and the fact that the player base is not at the size where it can find balanced matches, so unless you are queueing as a party i would stick to the public servers for a better experience. In fact I am tempted not to play mm at all until they have fixed a few of the issues. For example, if the whole enemy team leaves, the game does not end so you just have to sit there practising trick jumps for 10 mins. There is a penalty for leaving, but new players who are getting stomped don't really care.
    - They have become quite a bit more generous with their credit system if you do the missions, making it actually viable to save up for a merc with in game credits rather than having to fork out a hefty amount of money for one.
    - With competitive play in general, gameplay seems to be pretty fun rather than annoying? but there are probably way better voices to talk about that matter and others such as map balance.
    - There are rage hackers occasionally on servers (think I have personally encountered two in the last week) but not enough to make the game unplayable by any means.
    - The devs aren't too bad at addressing community concerns, but not the best at communicating (but not awful).

To sum up, my main pain-point with the game is the crappy MM system, but overall the game actually plays surprisingly well and remains fun for a good period of time. Similar to aliens in NS2 there are a number of roles to be played, and not all require good aim to be effective. So at least in pub games you can still be a crucial part of the team by reviving, completing objectives, dropping ammo/heals etc.

TL;DR: Game is fun, similar aim style to NS2 in some respects, give it a go to see if you like it as its now free to download play. Still in Beta.

Time to get into Dirty Bomb casting apparently, those casters are trash. Looks good, good to see ns2 players still kicking it!
    AusNS2 Admin, CDT Member

I seriously didn't know that the tournament had ended because they were too busy being confused about when the first emp was delivered haha

Also: don't consider this pay to win. You get loadout cards (or cases, which turn into loadout cards) about every second match. You can turn 3 or 4 loadout cards into a loadout card in the next tier up. After about 5 hours of game time (assuming you're going for daily missions), you should have your first bronze loadout card, and after 10 hours, you should have bronze cards for all of your main characters. Somewhere between 1- and 15 hours you'll have enough credits to buy a class that's not in the free rotations.

I wonder what's going to happen to progression upon release. People have payed money, so will the keep the current progression?

Imo it's not worth it to buy cases and trade up to get cards. Only do it if you have spare lead and iron cards which you will DEFINITELY get more than enough of just playing the game a few hours. Then pray to the RNG gods that you get the specific card for the specific merc you want. Otherwise it's better to just save your credits and buy the one with the weapon and perks you want. Like Kart said, the only difference above bronze tier is aesthetics. Competitive play is viable with bronze cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Wink View Post

I wonder what's going to happen to progression upon release. People have payed money, so will the keep the current progression?
    I am about 99% certain that splash damage have confirmed there will be no further resets. However load out cards and mercs may under go balance changes.