Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a d0pe abroad

a d0pe abroad

I'm gonna be in Melbourne for a week at the end of the month/start of April. Melbournites - Gimme a list of places I should go. Restaurant recommendations especially around St-Kilda/South Melbourne area would be good, but not just restaurant recommendations because obviously I'm not going to be eating 24/7 (inb4 "not with that attitude"). I don't care for bars unless they're particularly good for non-doofdoof live music, so if you know any of those lemme know. I got a concert to go to during one of the nights, but apart from going to that, eating at various places, going to the zoo and checking out the racetrack I'm pretty lost for shit to do.

Laneways in melbourne are pretty important for experiencing the city. There's loads of nice little bars, restaurants, cafes and shops down dozens of laneways in the city. Hosier Lane for example is known for some amazing graffiti. Artists even travel interstate (and some international) to do pieces there.

Night Markets: Queen Victoria Markets does night markets from 5pm-10pm. This is one of the best (albeit sometimes expensive) places to get fresh food & deli products and the night markets are a bit of fun to go with that.

There's also some pretty sweet bike paths in/around melbourne and you can rent/borrow a bike + a helmet and ride around if you're into that. More on that here - http://www.melbournebikeshare.com.au/.

being that you're in St Kilda, there's Luna Park which is a huge piece of shit from what i've seen walking past but people seem to love it so whatever.

You'll also be in melbourne during the Melbourne International Comedy Festival so maybe grab some cheap tickets to see something and just get out of the hotel for some fun?

Bars: Melbourne has a lot of bars that aren't clubs and aren't pubs, so they aren't stuffed with drunk bogans or pounding loud eletronic music (though there's plenty of that too). As far as St Kilda is concerned, the Espy has heaps of sick live music and pretty decent prices for beers, but is a bit beat up. There's also heaps of shit down ackland st way. Brunswick St, Fitzroy has loads of nice bars & boutqiue stores. It's very much a hipster suburb. There's also a pretty sweet artists market there on Rose St (just off Brunswick St) if you're into that. I've picked up some cool shit there before.

Beer: Because beer is important enough to warrant it's own category in my mind and there's a reasonable number of places to go. I'd recommend in no particular order: The Ale House in Brunswick East, Dejavu Bar, The Local Taphouse in St Kilda & you can't go past Mrs Parmas - craft beer and awesome parmas in the cbd.

If you've read this far, good effort but i mean really fuck all of that shit, the net cafe where you can play ns2 is called Cydus - http://www.cydus.com.au/.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I forgot to list some restaurants. Nah, seriously if you're in st kilda ackland st has heaps of restaurants and is a pretty busy hub for food. Kinda hard not to find somewhere decent just walking around. There's always Lygon St for little italy and places like movida next door in the cbd which is a spanish tapas place that isn't too expensive but has awesome food (seriously have the chorizo potato balls, whatever they're called). You can also go to Hardware Lane - some nice restaurants (and ok bars) there.

I kept reading expecting jokes but got a 100% helpful meshu post. So confused.

In all seriousness, it's been a while since we've rounded up the Melbourne AusNS2 crew for drinks, so let us know what dates you're down and we'll sort something out one night.

Surely you know that the Melbournian desire to masturbate over lane ways, coffee and other aspects of cultural sophistication they believe Melbourne possesses overrides even the need for troll posts, Taz?

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    rite

Thx for the informative post Meshu. I don't think I'll do any biking.

I may aswell go to Luna Park even if I don't go inside. I've seen that goddamn clown on my facebook so many times from other people's trips to melbourne that I may aswell go visit it.

In all seriousness, it's been a while since we've rounded up the Melbourne AusNS2 crew for drinks, so let us know what dates you're down and we'll sort something out one night.
    I dunno. Maybe. I feel like I've cultivated a mystique that would be shattered if you met me IRL. It is clear that absolutely everybody in this community looks up to me as a role model and I'd hate to ruin that for you guys :P

I'm there from the 30th till the 5th. If any of those days probably either Friday or Saturday would be best. Monday, is the day I arrive and cbf doing anything. Tuesday I have a concert. Wednesday - I may aswell go to those Queen Victoria Markets, and Thursday I'm leaving open cause it's the last day my mate's in town. Anyway, I'm not much of a drinker though (gave it up completely so I could be exclusive to my one true love - the d0pe) - so whilst I do plan to sample the local hops, I'll only have a few.

Don't get together on my account though. My natural state is to be antisocial anyway, so I'm perfectly happy just wondering aboot, checking out the city. Although, having said that, since I'm on holiday, I'll probably be feeling more festive than usual, so I'm happy to meet up for a beer if you guys want. I'm just happy not to as well :P
    Last edited by d0ped0g; 18-03-2015 at 10:44 PM.

What? I've gotten along just fine with d0pe in the 10+ years we've been playing NS with and against each other in pubs/scrims etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scatter View Post
    Surely you know that the Melbournian desire to masturbate over lane ways, coffee and other aspects of cultural sophistication they believe Melbourne possesses overrides even the need for troll posts, Taz?
    I'm actually Sydney born and raised (mostly) and would say that Sydney is my fav city to live in. The laneways in melbs are much better than Sydney for cultural things. Laneways in Sydney are for garbage and back entrances to restaurant kitchens. Nothing really to see there.

Don't get me wrong though, Sydney is probably my preferred place to live, but in the couple of years I've lived in Melbourne I've made an effort to get out and experience what the city has to offer and it's a pretty cool place.

Dope he's trying to lure you into a place and have sexual intercourse with your body...
    o_O
    The Flying Fish: "i think i gave you a compliment actually"

Can I ask the audience on this one, eddy?

Who the fuck is Rocky?

DoW
    Now get back to your luring!

Didn't that clan dissolve 11 years ago and become FeX and some other clan?

Probably? Wasn't playing matches by then, was awhile ago I stopped playing ns1 clans.

Goodies!

FeX was "NZ's first ns1 clan" so I doubt it. Reptile was with us at some point. Dunno about the others, and dunno if it was before or after he was in DoW.

Ah right, DoW were the other high ping team, they were all from perth werent they

That's the one

Quote Originally Posted by Meshu View Post
    What? I've gotten along just fine with d0pe in the 10+ years we've been playing NS with and against each other in pubs/scrims etc.
    I didn't mean that you were going to attack him, just that 'helpful' isn't the category i'd often apply to your posts. 'scathing', 'sarcastic' and 'confusing thanks to the weird old picture of Zimoi' perhaps.

Don't get together on my account though. My natural state is to be antisocial anyway, so I'm perfectly happy just wondering aboot, checking out the city.
    Nonsense, you have to hear Leo's balcony story!

As long as clowning gets a saucing and there is video evidence (again) I'll be amused. Do it dope.

If we're meeting up, count me in. I'll have the sauce packets ready for you Meshu.

Sauce packets... I like where this is heading!

I get bored just sitting around drinking and having a yarn all night, esp cause I'm gonna cut myself off after a few, probably unlike you drunkards. So I'm going to go ahead and suggest either karaoke, or hit up that net cafe (the one Meshu mentioned) after the bar for a few rounds of drunken ns2. Or both.