Close

Thread: Maths question

Maths question

At first there was Mr. Tan getting rekt with fake $50 on his shoes

This is apparently on a primary 5 maths exam

don't cheat by googling plix

why doesn't she just tell them her birthday date, IT WOULD BE SO MUCH EASIER.

July 16? o-o
    Last edited by DJoy; 15-04-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Can't be June or May because of what Albert said. He knows from the month he is told that Bernard does not know when Cheryl's birthday is. The only way Bernard could know when Cheryl's birthday is is if he was told one of the unique numbers, either 18 or 19. So for Albert to know that Bernard doesn't know means he was told either July or August.

That's as far as I've got so far, except you can rule out 14 because it is in both of those months.

Was this really for Grade 5? That's just mean, who comes up with this.

Yeah so it's July 16th right? Because for Albert to know if Bernard knows after eliminating May and June it must be a day that repeats in one of the eliminated months, so not 14th, and Albert wouldn't know knowing Bernard now knows if it was in August as there are 2 possible days

I think I got it.

Albert was given a month and Bernard was given a day right, so they both know that if Bernard was given the numbers 19 or 18 he would know the birthday because they are the only numbers by themselves. So May 19 and June 18 can be crossed out. Albert says he doesn't know even after knowing Bernard doesn't know which means June 17 can be crossed out since its the month by its self now. Bernard says he now knows what it is because his number matches the month that was just crossed out so Cheryl's birthday is August 17th.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Cheryl is a bitch and doesn't deserve any birthday presents.

EDIT: Just looked up the solution and I think it's dumb. There's no way Albert can conclude that may 15 and may 16 are not the birthdays unless he was given more information from Cheryl. Poorly written question imo.
    Last edited by Aeol; 15-04-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Got it.

November 2nd.

I had a maths question based on car parking when I was in primary 6. and obviously no one drives in primary 6.

don't read this if you still trying to solve.

This is the first question if those of you haven't seen it yet:

Mr Tan earns a living by selling shoes, he sell his shoe cheaply. A pair of shoe costs $20 and the selling price is $30.

A customer bought a pair of shoe and paid with a $50 note.
    Mr Tan didn't have change so he went to his neighbour to break it into small notes.

The next day, Mr Tan's neighbour realized that the $50 note was a fake.
    Mr Tan compensated his neighbour $50.

How much did Mr Tan lose?

Yep, I would go with July 16th as well. Because it can't be either of the remaining August dates otherwise Bernard would not know for sure. And finally Albert knowing that the birthday has to be either July or August and the fact that Albert now knows the correct date knows that the only way he could know that is if the birthday is on July 16th.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeol View Post
    EDIT: Just looked up the solution and I think it's dumb. There's no way Albert can conclude that may 15 and may 16 are not the birthdays unless he was given more information from Cheryl. Poorly written question imo.
    Albert was given the month tho, I would assume this was July. Unless I missed something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fleas View Post
    Mr Tan earns a living by selling shoes, he sell his shoe cheaply. A pair of shoe costs $20 and the selling price is $30.

A customer bought a pair of shoe and paid with a $50 note.
    Mr Tan didn't have change so he went to his neighbour to break it into small notes.

The next day, Mr Tan's neighbour realized that the $50 note was a fake.
    Mr Tan compensated his neighbour $50.

How much did Mr Tan lose?
    At first I was thinking $70, $50 he returns + $20 for the shoes, but then I remembered he keeps some of the money. He exchanges $50 fake for $50 real, and gives $20 real + $20 pair of shoes to the customer. He is left with $30 real. Next day has has to give back the $30 real he has left plus $20 of his own. So he is down $20 plus a $20 pair of shoes. So Mr Tan loses $40.

Yeah, the answer is Aug 17th depending on how you interpret the statements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Nzkae_TRU