Close

Kid's Corner Pub

I've put up a new server. It is rookie friendly. If you can't handle playing with rookies and rage at them then you are not welcome on this server. If you want a non-rookie server to play on then I recommend one of Oozle's servers.

Specs are as follows...

SLOTS: 18 players
    ROOKIE FRIENDLY: YES
    CPU: i5 @ 4.2GHz (can increase this if needed but would prefer to not run the fans so loud)
    RAM: 16gb
    HDD: SSD Samsung
    NETWORK: 100/40mbit @ PIPE NETWORKS/TPG

Would love feedback regarding performance. I know that pings are about 10 to 15ms higher than expected and I'm trying to fix that with a very simple setting but i'm at the mercy of my ISP's cooperation.

It's only running at 4.2GHz but I can experiment with speeds up to 4.8ghz before it becomes too unstable.

kid i think you're a really cool guy

Quote Originally Posted by kid View Post
    I've put up a new server. It is rookie friendly. If you can't handle playing with rookies and rage at them then you are not welcome on this server. If you want a non-rookie server to play on then I recommend one of Oozle's servers.

Specs are as follows...

SLOTS: 18 players
    ROOKIE FRIENDLY: YES
    CPU: i5 @ 4.2GHz (can increase this if needed but would prefer to not run the fans so loud)
    RAM: 16gb
    HDD: SSD Samsung
    NETWORK: 100/40mbit @ PIPE NETWORKS/TPG

Would love feedback regarding performance. I know that pings are about 10 to 15ms higher than expected and I'm trying to fix that with a very simple setting but i'm at the mercy of my ISP's cooperation.

It's only running at 4.2GHz but I can experiment with speeds up to 4.8ghz before it becomes too unstable.
    Update: After some trial and error and almost frying the CPU, I've now got it running at 4.6ghz. I was trying to get values above this but it simply was not stable enough to be a server. I think this is a good middle-ground for now! Server is back up and running.

I take it you got my message then D:

Ill be upgrading my computer to skylake next year , i will be dedicating my old cpu and spare parts to a server the i7 i have can sit @ 4.2 easy peazy im hoping to water cool it and maybe try get a 5ghz server up ...next year

After some experimenting with faster server rates, i have decided to put them back to default. Reason being is that people with low ping and good connections did benefit from the increased rates, however our friends from overseas who play on the server experienced issues. Putting the rates back to default made things good again on a whole for everyone.

I was playing on the 50tick linux server (250 ping) and I did feel there was a longer delay to reg damage but the game as a whole felt much smoother like I was playing on a local server. Reg seemed a lot better to I wonder what the server settings were.

Server is offline temporarily while I sort out some weird network issues which started yesterday afternoon. Oozle's server was also experiencing some issues but appear to be resolved now. I recommend playing there in the interim!

There was an outage today but servers #1, #3 and #4 are back up and running.

Server #1 now runs Compmod4 Pub Friendly version as it brings some nice balance changes to the game.

I have renovations going on in my house for the next week or so. This means the power is getting switched off and on regularly at the mains and I will only be putting the servers up after 6pm each day. During the day they will be offline but feel free to use the Oozle or Ozzy servers.

Servers are temporarily running on (old) dedicated hardware until I build a new gaming PC. Previously the servers were running on the same PC I played NS2 + other games on and it was a bit risky if my PC crashed mid-game it would also affect the servers. Also it would potentially affect server performance (although nobody noticed thus far!).

So now they are running on an old Xeon 6-core @ 3.4ghz. The low clock speed means I cannot run any servers higher than 18 slots. Would appreciate the servers being stress tested over the next few days and apologies if it runs like a dog. But if you are doing some testing for me then take note at how many players have joined the server before performance starts to drop massively.

Once I build a new gaming rig I will have the servers running back on their previous faster hardware.

Cheers!