Close

Kid servers shutting down indefinitely

Hi Guys,

Some sad news, I am moving house on Friday 12th Feb and into a place which only has adsl2 (yes, back to painful internet land again). This means that I can no longer host the AusNS2 Kid servers which used to run in my bedroom. The only remaining Australian server will be Oozle's.

I actually did try to find a new place to live which had NBN or TPG FTTB but was unable to secure anything. Thanks to all of those for playing, to those who spent hours seeding the box and helping out with the servers I hosted. Hope you all had many enjoyable rounds on there but it looks like the Oozle server is going to get really busy real soon

I am now going to have the physical server sitting at my new house unplugged, with no reason to turn it on. If anyone out there with NBN or equivalent internet out there wants to take over hosting these servers from me then I will happily donate the hardware for this purpose for free for the good of the community. If you're in Sydney I'll even drive it to your house and configure the network for you.

It's an old Xeon 6-core workstation (HP Z400 model) in a desktop ATX size case so it's quite small. It has a gold star rated 400watt power supply which really doesn't use much energy and an ATI Firepro graphics card with 1x DVI and 2x Displayports. It's as quiet as any other office PC to run and doesn't produce much heat.

Message me here or on steam if you can help.

Long live NS2

Thanks for hosting Kid Appreciate the server.

so that's what you mean. Wow that's really sad and just when I got a better routing to your server. thanks for hosting anyway

the hurt is real. having supernet is useless when the routing is aids

This is terrible news, I take it the upload of adsl2 isn't enough?

If you would like to know how much network it uses, roughly 20kbps of upstream per client. This exponentially increases as more people are in the server but 20kbps is a good general guide.

If you have an 18 player server, that's 360kbps of upload bandwidth you will require. It means at minimum you would want 4mbps upload speed and a fixed-line connection to reduce jitter and latency. The only home fixed-line connections I'm aware of which would then be suitable in Australia are vdsl, shdsl and FTTX technologies excluding wireless. If anyone has access to a data center where we can host the hardware that would also work.

Alternatively there are lots of data centres in Australia which will host servers, these generally cost about $2 per slot per month and will only give you access to 1 CPU on the machine.

Note if you currently have HFC cable with Telstra, you will eventually be upgraded to NBN speeds but not slated to begin until 2017 I believe.

Yeah thanks a tonne for hosting kid.

So the rumours are true Goddamit Kid Y U do this to us? You love us then leave us
    No but seriously thanks for hosting the server on your home connection.
    Trying to find a place with the REAL NBN is impossible so I know that feel.

Is it true Archie may be taking the hardware over and hosting?
    Is it also true Archie has beautiful eyes?
    The Flying Fish: "i think i gave you a compliment actually"

Sorry to see these go due to the lack of broadband

We're looking into putting up a couple of Official UWE NS2 Oz servers to help cover.
    Animator @UWEDev on @Subnautica
    Community Dev Team Leader NS2

The problem with this is most of the server companies in Aus that actually allow you to rent NS2 servers (multiplay, streamline, i3d etc) all have under performing hardware, and the servers drop ticks. The most stable performance we have had is running it off of home internet connections on custom rigs with OC'd consumer grade hardware. All of the public servers we've put up in the past that we've rented have been shunned by our playerbase because of instability.

Unfortunately, despite the improvements to the game I don't think that situation has changed.

I have NBN fiber (40mb upload), but I'm in Western Australia. I average about 80-90 ping to the east coast servers, so people on the east coast would be getting at least that if I ran a server. I did try putting up a faded mod server a few months ago with an older computer I had (2.4ghz) but the tick rate plummeted whenever we had more than 6 people on it.

I will probably be upgrading my gaming rig soon so I might be able to use my current rig as a server if there was an interest. It has a stable overclock at 4.2 GHz - how many slots could it sustain these days? Is the server process still single threaded? Can you run 1 server per core?

Quote Originally Posted by x2571 View Post
    I have NBN fiber (40mb upload), but I'm in Western Australia. I average about 80-90 ping to the east coast servers, so people on the east coast would be getting at least that if I ran a server. I did try putting up a faded mod server a few months ago with an older computer I had (2.4ghz) but the tick rate plummeted whenever we had more than 6 people on it.

I will probably be upgrading my gaming rig soon so I might be able to use my current rig as a server if there was an interest. It has a stable overclock at 4.2 GHz - how many slots could it sustain these days? Is the server process still single threaded? Can you run 1 server per core?
    Run 1 server per core and have 1 core spare is a good guide, so if you have for example a 4-core processor you could run 3x 18 slot servers @ 4.2ghz and they should perform very well. In general you want your server cores running over 3GHz or you will experience tickrate issues like what you described.