Close
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Unhappy Open Letter to AusNS2 Admins - Hugh

Hi AusNS2 admins,

Today, you chose to propagate a leak. Unlike other NS2 communities that actively work with us at UWE when it comes to unreleased content, you chose to take it upon yourselves to post secret content.

That could be forgiven for so many reasons, but you chose to ignore direct requests from myself, and prominent, respected NS2 community members to remove the content.

By ignoring us, you have hurt us at Unknown Worlds. You have hurt the likelihood that UWE can support NS2 in future. You have hurt the game you purport to support. You have destroyed my respect for the AusNS2 community organisation (Though certainly not its members) and my desire to provide the same support to AusNS2.org as UWE supports other NS2 communities.

I donít understand why you chose to ignore us, but I imagine it is because you saw short term gains for this website, as NS2 players everywhere click through to you. To value such short term gains over the long term future of NS2Ö It is very upsetting that any member of the NS2 community would do such a thing.

It is particularly hurtful that you chose do this as my fellow Australian NS2 players. Working at UWE, I miss home - And I used to look to AusNS2 as my 'home' of NS2 play. Now I feel much more kinship with the European and US communities that chose not to propagate unreleased content, and in fact pushed for its removal wherever they saw it.

Hugh (uwe.Strayan/NS2HD)

While I understand that leaking content is just wrong and no one's right but the developers, I don't see how it "hurts the likelihood that UWE can support NS2 in the future". Everyone I've talked to about it seems more excited because of it, are you really trying to convince us that the extra hype will somehow hurt business?

You don't understand, clearly people looking forward to an update makes the game sell less.

Quote Originally Posted by uwe.Strayan View Post
    and my desire to provide the same support to AusNS2.org as UWE supports other NS2 communities.
    Welcome to our newest member, uwe.Strayan
    Last edited by infurn4tr1x; 28-08-2013 at 01:05 AM.

....Burn?
    Also, uwe. Strayan, it's particularly hurtful you seem to put a swing on your post that is essentially "I now hate all ausns2 because one person did this"
    If you blame everyone for the faults (or your personal differences) With/of one person, don't expect to make any friends.

dramatizing a subject that does not require dramatization also, does not make you any friends.

Now, please, go back to facepainting, you're much better (or worse) At that.
    Last edited by infurn4tr1x; 28-08-2013 at 01:20 AM.

Never seen someone prune their rose bushes so heavily.

Has anyone seen this before?

I remember a huge scandal in the sc2 scene, where 'Slasher' the journalist leaked that Jaedong was going to join Evil Geniuses in advance. Inside the game had a long discussion about it, and I think it's very similar to the situation we have here. Take a look at the video if you want (warning, it's 2Ĺ hours long).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA20ixduQoE

If you want to skip to (imo) the good points:
    http://youtu.be/fA20ixduQoE?t=1h27m57s

The crux of the problem as I understand it is; that by leaking the information you hurt UWE's abillity to hype up the content patch, because people will see the official release video in let's say a week, and they will gloss right over it because they already know it's coming. Most people will probably still watch the official video, but they will not get as 'pumped' as if it was entirely new to them.
    Last edited by SantaClaws; 28-08-2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Added link for skipping to the good stuff.

Hi AusNS2 admins,

Today, you chose to propagate a leak. Unlike other NS2 communities that actively work with us at UWE when it comes to unreleased content, you chose to take it upon yourselves to post secret content.
    Oh Cut the crap, secret content? It had been leaked at least 4 hours before the actual announcement, and EVERYONE knew about it, really all zimoi did was level the playing field for those absent during the time of the leak.
    That could be forgiven for so many reasons, but you chose to ignore direct requests from myself, and prominent, respected NS2 community members to remove the content.
    To what end? The damage had been done, the world had fallen apart. Why should something which is really just a discussion on the topic at hand, be taken down when you do not block people access to the topic?
    By ignoring us, you have hurt us at Unknown Worlds. You have hurt the likelihood that UWE can support NS2 in future. You have hurt the game you purport to support.
    Hurt the likelyhood that you can make updates? By refusing to take down an announcement of a video which EVERYONE Had access to before the announcement was put up?
    You have destroyed my respect for the AusNS2 community organisation (Though certainly not its members) and my desire to provide the same support to AusNS2.org as UWE supports other NS2 communities.
    So you're going to go straight ahead and blame all of the ausns2 admins for the decisions made of one person? We dont have a monarchy here, hugh, we have an internetz democracy.
    I donít understand why you chose to ignore us, but I imagine it is because you saw short term gains for this website, as NS2 players everywhere click through to you. To value such short term gains over the long term future of NS2Ö It is very upsetting that any member of the NS2 community would do such a thing.
    Short term gains of which is a video that should not be leaked, but an official "Heres what you should expect" Video, we're a mature audience hugh, we expect to be treated with the maturity and integrity of ADULTS. So that means, suprises, generally are poorly recieved. If you soften the blow by communicating with us pre-release of said changes, they are generally better recieved. i.e balancetest.
    It is particularly hurtful that you chose do this as my fellow Australian NS2 players. Working at UWE, I miss home - And I used to look to AusNS2 as my 'home' of NS2 play. Now I feel much more kinship with the European and US communities that chose not to propagate unreleased content, and in fact pushed for its removal wherever they saw it.
    It is particularly hurtful we werent trusted with a more official video to begin with, those eu and us communities need to be more pushy in subjects like this. they are too busy being bootlickers.

Also this isnt unfinished content We're talking about, this video which was leaked was going to be listed the moment the build went live anyway.
    So if its considered finished enough for an overview the content itself, ITS FINISHED UNRELEASED CONTENT.
    Last edited by infurn4tr1x; 28-08-2013 at 02:09 AM.

If we can't have proper conversation about this then what's the point in a thread? I understand damage control may have been deemed necessary in the form of pruning, but unless we want a thread full of PR posts, perhaps this took it too far.

The posts pointing out this account was literally just made and is the only posts made from it is relevant as fuck. As was the one pointing out that it wasn't cool to direct condemnation at those who had nothing to do with it. Only glanced the thread. But the discussion at least seemed civil.

Yeah, some of those posts shouldn't of been deleted.

ITT: Auron calls out Hugh for having 2 posts as a new member, meanwhile Auron has made like 7 posts under a 2nd account but had them all deleted.

Lmfao.

Also, good work on keeping all the info up. I'm sure any Aus team that was interested in playing in international events is going to be welcomed with open arms.

After seeing the deleted posts and the ones that came after it, and then some of the posts on the official forums from members of this community, I'm pretty certain AusNS2's reputation will precede itself in future NS2 events. While I'm sure a lot of you have been perfectly nice and understanding, it's always the few who spoil things for others and tarnish reputations.

GEE THANKS ZIMOI.

Below is a gif that represents ausns2:

Right down to the whole, puff yourself up and try to look cool...shortly followed by a fall.

In before I get banned from every US server I try to play on.

Also, in before these get brought out again:

Just wanted to say, as much as hugh's reply is as usual over dramatic (not at all quality PR/damage control), real dick move by Zimoi posting this to reddit against all common sense. Then refusing to take it down after being asked? I can see why there might have been nsplayer vs ausns2 in ns1 days.

Although quite honestly, it's not hard to change the video status from unlisted to private, then re-uupload it to get a new unique youtube link. There's no need for this community bashing Hugh. You are losing perpsective

Hubris is a nice thing to have when you don't want to deal with the consequences of alienating whole national ns2 communities in your very niche population game.
    Last edited by elodea; 28-08-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elodea View Post
    Hubris is a nice thing to have when you don't want to deal with the consequences of alienating whole ns2 communities...
    Are you talking about Zimoi here?

Here is another re-enactment of ausns2:

Quote Originally Posted by elodea View Post
    Although quite honestly, it's not hard to change the video status from unlisted to private, then re-uupload it to get a new unique youtube link
    The video was hosted by a channel under UWE's control?

I assumed it was being hosted by whoever leaked it and that the open letter caused him to buckle? This makes it so much worse. Could have just made the video private and gone on with business.

It's a shame Obraxis that you feel that way. May I point out that the entire community doesn't deserve to be judged because of the actions of select people. Furthermore, whilst it is reasonable of Hugh and others in the ns2 community to believe that the leaking of this footage may be condemnable and voice their opinions as such, it is also an entirely reasonable notion that elements of this response by Hugh may deserve criticism too.

Quote Originally Posted by d0ped0g View Post

I assumed it was being hosted by whoever leaked it and that the open letter caused him to buckle? This makes it so much worse. Could have just made the video private and gone on with business.
    Nah, ISE is making official videos for UWE in collaboration. Cory said something about this on UWE general. I presume that the video was set as unlisted so that he could share it and get feedback from the UWE devs etc. It's been set to private now so yea.

It's a shame Obraxis that you feel that way. May I point out that the entire community doesn't deserve to be judged because of the actions of select people. Furthermore, whilst it is reasonable of Hugh and others in the ns2 community to believe that the leaking of this footage may be condemnable and voice their opinions as such, it is also an entirely reasonable notion that elements of this response by Hugh may deserve criticism too.
    Obraxis is not far from the truth unfortunately. The more public this matter becomes, the worse it becomes for the AU scene. It really is a shame for this issue to turn out the way it did here.

Quote Originally Posted by d0ped0g View Post

The video was hosted by ISE himself, on an unlisted youtube. This was never meant to go outside the PT Group as he was asking for feedback (as changes are still happening - hence unfinished and not correct information). He had already gone to bed by the time it started making the rounds, so UWE had no control over making the video unlisted or private.

They could have used Copyright control on it to nuke it from orbit, but this would seriously damage ISE's youtube channel's copyright reputation, and UWE are not in the business of harming a channel which is helping to promote NS2. The only option UWE had, was to limit it's spread by asking AusNS2 to remove it, and the reddit post which we did in a very nice series of PMs which were all declined.

I believe I said in my last post, there are a lot of AusNS2 who are nice and understanding, but that it's the few people who tarnish a community's reputations.

The video was hosted by the one talking in it, so i think it's safe to assume he did not leak it. I think he was in association with UWE, and someone else leaked it (who i don't know). And for the unlisted to private part, if he wasn't there while it was leaked, it could only be shut down by deleting the links like here, so that may explain some reactions.

[Edit] Well, Obraxis cleared it.
    Last edited by SewdiO; 28-08-2013 at 04:00 AM.

The funny thing is, despite what all the other admins might be saying, all the info and screenshots are on the frontpage still.