Close
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Hi Strayan and Obraxis,

Like many others on here and others who have seen this "secret" content, UWE are failing to understand that we are your CUSTOMERS essentially paying your wage and keeping your company operating, to openly lose faith and blame your customers is very poor. This so-called "secret" content was posted to us in our mumble channel by an American girl called Decoy (or a guy with an American accent who sounded very feminine), we all clicked on it and saw that it was the upcoming changes in the next build due to be released in the next few hours/days. I have the mumble logs and screenshots to prove it. Also when the content was posted to us it was not marketed as "hey here's some unreleased, secret information which nobody should have", it was simply posted to all our channels and being a publicly accessible link I'm pretty sure most people just figured it was intended to be public content.

With this content on the public domain, it is solely UWE's responsibility to control what is released and accessible to the public and your mechanism for doing that (NDAs, whatever) is up to you. There was no misdemeanor involved to obtain this content. It was on youtube accessibly to everyone for goodness sake, and as frustrated as you may be for not taking the proper measures to protect the content (i.e. making the content password protected or encrypted) don't turn the blame back on your customers.

If you had requested the content taken down by an AusNS2 admin and that wasn't done, then I'm sorry that has happened and perhaps there was some miscommunication - regardless that's a private discussion between you and AusNS2 but now a pretty hilarious and childish public blame game you've taken on against the entire Aus/NZ community by making it an "open letter".

For you to turn this blame around on us is hurtful. Extremely hurtful to members of this community who have purchased tens of additional CD keys to give to friends and as prizes etc to promote NS2. Hurtful to those of us Aussies and Kiwis who have donated hundreds of dollars to your crowd-funded prize pools for European competitions that Australians are not even involved in, and most of all hurtful to your colleagues, did you even clear this "open letter" with them before you posted it?

Rediculous.

oh the hugh-manity
    Last edited by ragenation; 28-08-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Open Letter To Hugh/UWE

Hi Hugh,

Welcome to the forums, and I must say what a great first post!

I’d like to begin our response by clearing up a few things:

• AusNS2 was not the source of this video. It was leaked by a playtester trusted by UWE, and it passed through many many people before it reached us.
    • We do not know which playtester leaked the video.
    • The video had been circulating the Natural Selection 2 community for well over 5 hours before we made the post.
    • Neither Hugh, nor anyone else from UWE contacted us to remove the post. Obraxis was the only person to contact us and asked for the post to be removed on the grounds that it contained inaccurate information.
    • We requested an official response from UWE, and stated that we would update the post to contain that. We received nothing.
    • The frontpage post and forum thread were removed by mistake. They are now restored, as we stand by our actions.

A majority of your post is centered around blaming AusNS2 for this leak, whereas it was actually leaked by one of your playtesters. It’s clear in the wake of this that you’re looking for someone to blame, even perhaps an easy way out to stop supporting the game, and want to use AusNS2 as a scapegoat.

We could understand your aggressive attitude towards AusNS2 if we were directly related to the leak, however let us reinforce that it was actually a member of your playtesting team that leaked the video many hours before our post. Indeed, even if we had removed our post at any point, the video still remained up and accessible to the world for many hours, and was already in the public eye.

At the end of the day, all we have done is relay information and as the age old saying goes - “don’t shoot the messenger”. This leak was an internal issue for UWE, and thus needs to be sorted out internally.

We understand that you might have hastily made a post which has unintentionally come off as somewhat aggressive, due to your love and passion for the game. For this reason some of the things you’ve said have to be taken with a grain of salt, but are still worth addressing.

You state that you have lost all respect for AusNS2, and say that you no longer have the intentions of supporting our community. It is worth noting that aside from one post when we launched, AusNS2 has received no communication or support from UWE. Indeed, the Australian community has been consistently left out of official events, with Australian teams not being allowed to compete for a chance to attend any UWE-run tournament.

Whatever support you have decided to no longer provide to the AusNS2 community goes directly against your claim that you hold no ill-respect towards our community members. If UWE truly cares about their playerbase, this kind of blanket claim should not be made.

You also say we don’t care about the long term future of NS2. This could not be any further from the truth. We have invested thousands of hours into building this community, not to mention money. We have just recently launched our own Australian and New Zealand NS2 league system, due to the ENSL barely supporting the Australian community. This has resulted in us having one of the largest outside-UWE communities for this game, with over 450 members.

We are very much looking forward to playing ‘Reinforced’, and believe that if anything our post has generated more buzz around the upcoming release. As people have pointed out, strategic leaks are commonplace for a reason, and it is not the public’s responsibility to determine what information was “intended” to be released and what wasn’t.

At the end of the day, we cater towards our community, not towards UWE. Our goal is to keep the community up to date, and engaged. Despite your comments, we still have much respect for UWE and look forward to seeing what the future holds. We look forward to seeing you all ingame.

Kind Regards,

The AusNS2 Admin Team

Oh shit! UWE actually came to say hi to us! About 9 months too late.

Hugh, This 'leak' thing actually made me play NS2 for the first time in months last night because the video, the changelog (which in every game is ALWAYS changing until its released) is very amazing and sparked my interest for the game up a bit again. I wonder how many other thousands of people who saw the link have a little more interest again?

However, it's not surprising you probably will never come back to read anything from here again, so all of our replies are null and void.

This is probably the best thing to happen to NS2, people are interested! People love the fact that everyone thought it was a 'leak'! Why not use it, and run with it instead of coming to bash what is one of NS2's smallest communities.

Also pretty odd how Hugh says he looks to AusNS2 as his home, yet he's only ever made 2 forum posts. Don't try and guilt-trip us, mate.

i'm going to start writing articles for the site so we can pull the journalist card next time someone cries about that shit

Quote Originally Posted by kid View Post
    Also pretty odd how Hugh says he looks to AusNS2 as his home, yet he's only ever made 2 forum posts.
    Both of which were made within the past 12 hours.
    -/AUS/- PS_Mouse

Also, while I agree with parts of elodea's post, this bit I have to categorically refute -

Quote Originally Posted by elodea View Post
    Which one do you think is more valuable? The ability to instantly tap into a larger audience through UWE forum announcement, twitter, and shoutout time? Or the respect of dicks around the world?
    We've historically had little to no success even getting so much as a retweet about our tournaments, so the insinuation that we have had or would ever have the ability to "instantly tap into a larger audience" through their social media is rather asinine. I would have loved that, honestly. Even just a single RT about our tournament would have been nice. It wasn't like we tried to hide our tournament, we posted it on reddit, twitter, CG forums, ausns2 forums and UWE forums, one of my admin team was in contact(sort of..) with Hugh via email but was struggling to get responses from him and I only ever got answers about unrelated things on twitter, never about NS2/community stuff.
    Last edited by Meshu; 28-08-2013 at 01:21 PM.

a couple of these http://twitter.com/unofficialausns got re tweeted. that is p much the most engagement anyone from aus has had with the uwe twitter account

We've historically had little to no success even getting so much as a retweet about our tournaments, so the insinuation that we have had or would ever have the ability to "instantly tap into a larger audience" through their social media is rather asinine. I would have loved that, honestly. Even just a single RT about our tournament would have been nice. It wasn't like we tried to hide our tournament, we posted it on reddit, twitter, CG forums, ausns2 forums and UWE forums, one of my admin team was in contact(sort of..) with Hugh via email but was struggling to get responses from him and I only ever got answers about unrelated things on twitter, never about NS2/community stuff.
    Totally with Meshu on this one, even on Season 1 of the ENSL and also CG I instigated several attempted contacts with hugh to see if he will (dare I be spat upon for this) cast with me to try and get the AUS scene noticed. Not once has he replied to ANY of my messages, this is where my dislike for Hugh started, the fact he is incompetent prick just helped fuel it.....

252 released.. LEAKED!

and this is the last time hugh shows his face around here, nicely said Meshu

it's cool because if he does read this thread he's suddenly going to realise he's not as important and has way less control than he thinks he does.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Fish View Post
    it's cool because if he does read this thread he's suddenly going to realise he's not as important and has way less control than he thinks he does.
    I don't think this is necessary. Sure, we mightn't be happy with how he's handled Aus/NZ promotion and community engagement for very obvious reasons, but I think it's important to keep in mind that he's still their PR guy and therefore is important.

What's sad is that in this case, burning a bridge with him won't change anything for our community. We hadn't received support from him or UWE previously and so we'll just continue on as if nothing ever happened. We'll still passionately play NS2 and be excited about updates and cool things in the game.

What bothered me most about his post was the threat of no longer supporting NS2 altogether because an admin of our community posted an already leaked video on our webpage. I don't think that decision is up to him and I'd really like to know what the development team at UWE has to say about that.

Really didn't think I would wake up to this thread.

I think Kid summarised this whole open letter thread very well:

Like many others on here and others who have seen this "secret" content, UWE are failing to understand that we are your CUSTOMERS essentially paying your wage and keeping your company operating, to openly lose faith and blame your customers is very poor.
    I love this part:
    Working at UWE, I miss home - And I used to look to AusNS2 as my 'home' of NS2 play
    With 2 posts with an account created yesterday..what a joke.

True if they stopped support for NS2 I could imagine their next game being a huge success (narf)

Wow talk about overreacting. There is nothing to be gained by blaming the fan base over a situation like this.

It is completely unreasonable to hate your consumers for being passionate about your product. If it wasn't for the passionate community then UWE will be nothing it is today. The problem clearly lies with UWE, learn to manage your brand better. You can't blame your consumers for how they act.

Threatening to pull support on NS2 over this sounds like an excuse, watch how you treat your fans, without us you'd be without a job.

Next time you guys get access to privileged information can you let www.nsnz.co.nz leak it? I feel snubbed that the hate-parade didn't stop by to preach fire and fury to our diverse and expansive audience of tumbleweeds.

i can safely outright say that i won't give uwe any money while this dipshit works for them/runs them into the ground

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by d0ped0g View Post
    Next time you guys get access to privileged information can you let www.nsnz.co.nz leak it? I feel snubbed that the hate-parade didn't stop by to preach fire and fury to our diverse and expansive audience of tumbleweeds.
    now the official ns2leaks website

Dopedog at this rate you'll end up hiding out in the Ecuadorian embassy.