Close
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

DangerZone.com.au servers

Jan 2015 -
    DangerZone.com.au NS2 servers are gone... for now?
    Due to my host no longer wanting to provide colo services, and my waning interest in NS2, I have decided to close down my servers. Maybe they'll be back in a new form in the future. Probably not.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Old message
    Hey Guys,

This post used to say a bunch of stuff about how the Monash NS2 servers was temporarily down and so I had been receiving a lot of attention on my servers, which had previously received criticisms for their performance. For the sake of not explaining myself again, I have quoted it at the bottom of this post.

Since Monash is now (permanently?) down, and there has been a significant improvement in people’s thoughts on my servers, they have increased in popularity even further. I’d like to re-iterate, and you can read it in the quote below, DangerZone isn’t about making money or even promoting ourselves as a community. We’re a group of friends who run some game servers (And other bits and pieces) for ourselves and share our spare resources with the public. This has more or less evolved, in the case of our NS2 servers, to having an entire server dedicated to that same public.

Recently, I’ve started a new job which now consumes ALL of my time. As a result I have even less time to deal with maintaining and administering these servers. However, I have “enlisted” (given permission with no obligations) a bunch of people to help out – most or all of which are known in the community, the rest are the DZ team or otherwise.

As it stands there are four servers running:
    games4.dangerzone.com.au:27095 - 18 Slots - #1, Full map rotation
    games4.dangerzone.com.au:27025 - 18 Slots - #2, Full map rotation
    games4.dangerzone.com.au:27015 - 16 Slots - #3, Combat
    And a fourth, private server, for scrims and such.

The main people able to do anything, other than myself, are (in no particular order):
    Seb, Jekt, Bonage and Khyron
    Additional in-game admins:
    Scatter, Worthy, Clowning, Elodea, xtc_rush, [GillY], and people listed on the DZ website.

Feel free to offer any suggestions, advice, questions, criticisms or concerns. Here or on steam. Don't bother going to our website, it's outdated and I'm lazy.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bladey2 (Please don't add me unless you need to talk urgently, use the steam group forums, email me or PM me)
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dan...discussions/0/
    stewart@dangerzone.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Old message
    Hey guys,

Seb told me to post on here, so I am. I'm the owner of the DangerZone servers - I know they've received some pretty harsh criticism for their performance, but I'd like to clarify a couple of things. I'm not a huge NS2 player. I played NS1 until the early hours of the morning night after night years ago, but I'm not much of a fan of NS2. That being said, I noticed there weren't a lot of Australian servers, and so I put some there. DZ isn't about making money or even promoting ourselves as a community - It's a group of friends who run some game servers for themselves, and with the stupid amount of spare resources we have, for the public. This causes a couple of issues - one being that performance and quality isn't such a high standard that we try to keep up with. However, we are paying for these servers directly out of our pockets, so there isn't much of an obligation there. This is not a complaint. We don't want donations, we don't need avid followers, we just want to help out the community where we can.

With the recent downtime of the Monash servers, my servers have been seeing a lot of attention. Unfortunately, they haven't had much of an opportunity to go under stress testing until now, because they never got much use previously. Also unfortunately, the person who I paid to put together the server and put it into the datacenter bought a 3770 instead of a 3770K, so I can't overclock the fucker. (Edit: I should also mention that this entire machine is now dedicated to the four NS2 servers running on them, and pretty much nothing else). I've noticed that 20 players is too much for that processor, so I've downed the slots to 18 on the two main servers, and kept the third (combat) server at 16. Someone mentioned on one of the servers the other night that I should look into putting in a rookie-restricted server, so I've done that too.
    Last edited by bld; 21-01-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Updated OP

People I think would never abuse admin powers (cbf giving ID's, too lazy dont rly care):
    Seb
    Elodea
    Slayar

Other common admins will still at the least:
    -sv_reset
    -sv_rrall
    -sv_randomall
    ...whenever it suits their impatience.

If you're really keen to boost the community, may I suggest that you run a non-rookie, experienced players only server?

What would be on this server:
    * NSL Only Maps with addition of some non-standard maps: ns2_nsl_jambi + ns2_caged
    * NSL mod for NSL lights, NSL Textures (to switch on/off lighting, or switch on/off nsl textures - for those who would prefer either/or) AND cross-spawns.
    * No rookies (I'm not even sure if you can have that as an option)

Thanks for posting here man, its great to have contact with all the server operators in Aus.

@intrik
    games3.dangerzone.com.au:27015 - 16 Slots - #4, Full map rotation, No rookies
    But yes, I agree that NSL maps would be a good idea for this server. I will post the maps and IDs in the thread in a sec.

No rookies (I'm not even sure if you can have that as an option)
    Yeah this is possible through Shine, bld showed me the plugin.

Okay yeah, after playing "scrims only" for the last month, when I went back to playing on public servers with non-NSL maps, the game performance gave me the shits so much I'm borderline buying a super-jet powered computer from NASA to run NS2.......

nsl mapped server would be hot property TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by intrik View Post
    * NSL Only Maps with addition of some non-standard maps: ns2_nsl_jambi + ns2_caged
    * NSL mod for NSL lights, NSL Textures (to switch on/off lighting, or switch on/off nsl textures - for those who would prefer either/or) AND cross-spawns.
    Sounds fine to me. I'll add them when I get a chance (And the ID's).

Quote Originally Posted by intrik View Post
    * No rookies (I'm not even sure if you can have that as an option)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Yeah this is possible through Shine, bld showed me the plugin.
    It's not a water-proof solution to no-rookies, but it's more than nothing. If anything I hope it is a discouragement towards new players.
    https://github.com/BrightPaul/NS2Sta...iki/No-Rookies

"maps": [ {
    "map": "ns2_nsl_biodome",
    "mods": [ "A8C04E7" ]
    },
    {
    "map": "ns2_nsl_summit",
    "mods": [ "735cebc" ]
    },
    {
    "map": "ns2_nsl_tram",
    "mods": [ "7741098" ]
    },
    {
    "map": "ns2_nsl_descent",
    "mods": [ "7d527cc" ]
    },
    {
    "map": "ns2_nsl_veil",
    "mods": [ "78ac3ed" ]
    },
    {
    "map": "ns2_caged",
    "mods": [ "63c559c" ]
    },
    {
    "map": "ns2_nsl_jambi",
    "mods": [ "9d2eabc" ]
    } ],
    This at the bare minimum would be awesome, maybe even with friendly fire as well. Easy to do with Shine as well, I believe the command would be

sh_friendlyfire 0.33
    Oh, don't forget Custom HUD as well.

ModID: 812f004
    Last edited by Seb; 18-12-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Now we're talking... Forgot about CHUD. The ability to remove gay particle effects makes me horny.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayar View Post
    People I think would never abuse admin powers (cbf giving ID's, too lazy dont rly care):
    Seb
    Elodea
    Slayar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthree3 View Post
    QFT .

Server #4 is now running the map cycle Seb has posted, as well as NSL mod and Custom Hud. Friendly Fire is set to 0.33.
    I don't know if there's going to be any conflicts between mods (specifically shine and NSL), but it should probably work.

Edit:
    I'm also open to changing one of the "All Maps cycle" servers into something else, like Factions or something else, if that's what people want. I don't know how well it will run, but I don't mind being known for having different gamemodes on offer.
    Last edited by bld; 18-12-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks bld for running the dangerzone servers, top work man.
    The Flying Fish: "i think i gave you a compliment actually"

Apparently someone doesn't like what I'm doing... receiving a pretty heavy DDoS at the moment. Either that or a carrier issue.
    edit: seems to have stopped for now. Nothing got blackholed so either the auto protection system didn't kick in or it wasn't targeting us.
    Last edited by bld; 19-12-2013 at 12:23 PM.

That's very interesting actually..

Was targeted at someone else, they got blackholed within 2 minutes but two out of the three upstream links got bogged for about 10 minutes.
    I'll be pretty disappointed if someone starts attacking me directly.

Updated the servers, made #2 Eclipse only for a little while, so people can try the new map.

Ta mate
    The Flying Fish: "i think i gave you a compliment actually"

Servers are updated to 263 (Just waiting for people to get off #1 to update it).

Still haven't put any admins into the list - and the level of administration is even less now because I've started a new job.

If you don't care, then I don't care - It is my understanding that people prefer other servers anyway.

getting ddos still? that is very interesting.

Thank you for these server bld. I personally haven't played on dangerzone for quite a while, but it's really nice too see you're on the ball. If you need admins, I could try and learn the console commands and such. I've got a few friends who have done that sort of thing so I can learn from them, but generally kick-vote does the job most of the time.