The NBN !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NBN !

So finally the Liberal's have released a some what type of plan for their version of the NBN.
    Just wondering what everyone thinks of it?

Going by media and polls (not very reliable) it looks like the Liberal's will blitz Labor at the next election. I've been holding out my vote decision until hearing the official NBN plan over at the Liberal's side... What a disappointment to hear that they will only be going to the node instead of the home.

Will this announcment change your thinking at the voting booth?
    The Flying Fish: "i think i gave you a compliment actually"

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
    So finally the Liberal's have released a some what type of plan for their version of the NBN.
    Just wondering what everyone thinks of it?

Going by media and polls (not very reliable) it looks like the Liberal's will blitz Labor at the next election. I've been holding out my vote decision until hearing the official NBN plan over at the Liberal's side... What a disappointment to hear that they will only be going to the node instead of the home.

Will this announcment change your thinking at the voting booth?
    I think there's very few people who would disagree with the fact that their plan is an absolute joke.

That said, whilst the culture of Australian politics is such that the major parties have to violently disagree with everything the other party ever says, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll follow through. Even if, god forbid, the polls are right, i wouldn't be surprised to see them gradually "concede" to FTTP.

Comment

Yes it's a disgrace to oppose Australian's future just because they are the opposition.
      I certainly hope if they do win that they do concede to FTTP.
      By the looks of things Turnbull knows it's a piece of shit and is very uncomfortable around Abbott when talking about the NBN.
      Hopefully he takes the top job and throws this shit plan in the bin and continues where he has his private money invested in, FTTP!

Comment

I could cry. I really could.

Educate yourself here on why alternatives like FTTN are wholly inadequate . Especially with relation to any sort of expense argument. FTTN might be cheaper to implement, in the short term. Until it all needs to be replaced with fibre later on due to it already being an obsolete technology.

The internet consumer space isn't going to get any less important, and downstream or upstream requirements for services isn't going to go down either. Turnball made the hilarious statement that the only people who require these speeds is internet pirates. Showing his complete ignorance to already available legal services that offer digital HD rental and purchase of all entertainment media. As average stream rates have increased, the services that require these speeds have become available to utilize them.

The Coalitions NBN proposal is a marvel of short-termism.
        Last edited by Jekt; 11-04-2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Yeah the fact that NZ tried it and failed speaks for itself.
          When you read some comments on news websites about "if you want to drive a Ferrari, buy it yourself!" god I just want to strangle those Jon Snows.

Comment

i was halfway through typing a really wordy post but instead i just decided to keep this line. if the speed of the internet is all that makes decide who you're voting for, you're fucking brain damaged.

ps. the nbn is obv future proof in that the extra money is better spent now rather than later. the cool lib idea to get us on current 2013 technology by 2019 is mind boggling.

Comment

additionally they won't scrap the nbn because that would actually end up just costing them more money, the same bullshit happened here in vic with our fucked up ticketing system.

Comment

I really wish we had a system where you could vote on policy rather than a party. I pretty much agree with 100% of the policies proposed by Australian sex party, the NBN from Labor and bits and peices from random parties. I also wish if this system was implemented, you had to be certified or can prove professional / high level knowledge of a subject before your allowed to vote on that particular policy.

Grandma voting on which party has a better NBN policy is bullshit. Myself voting on the mining tax is fucking pointless, I have at the most have a absolutely basic understanding of what it will impact.

The one thing I hate about democracy is it is so damn hard for parties to implement long term projects. They
                - Run the risk of getting voted out
                - Projects ALWAYS, ALWAYS no matter what, no matter how well managed always are delayed on SOMETHING. Due to the nature of politics just disagree'ing and jumping on the tiniest things for a tiny bit of political edge, parties are crucified over things that ultimately are bound to happen
                - If the project is successful and implemented well, it probably won't be until the opposition is voted in. They will then say its because of their management ect.

It's a shit situation. They really have to aim for small wins they can achieve in 4-8 years otherwise its hopeless.

FYI for the non technical people, fibre is a future proof technology. The bandwidth capacity of fibre is the speed of light, we are not even 1% of the way of fully utilising a fibre optic cable. The beautiful part of it, you only have to upgrade the transceiver on each end and the bandwidth will be upgraded without having to replace the fibre cable itself. They are aiming for 100/40mb down/up, I personally think that by the time it is implemented 1GB up/down will be standard (if labor stay in government).

PS: With the same type of fibre cable they are laying in the ground to peoples home, I used to implement a 10GB up/down link between our Brisbane office and Townsville office at work.

/rage
                Last edited by mf-; 11-04-2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Agree with what mf and also what TFF said.

No long term projects will be put to the people in a democracy because the party which initiated the plan likely wont be around to score political points from it when it is realised.

Furthermore, this choice between 2 centre right liberal parties (liberals and labor)is just the illusion of choice between two parties with minimal ideological difference. Nice diversionary tactic while the multinationals get to set political policy more beneficial to them through a series of lobbies and bribes.
                  http://steamcommunity.com/id/scatterbrains

Comment

Originally posted by Jekt View Post
                    Turnbull made the hilarious statement that the only people who require these speeds is internet pirates.
                    I didn't hear this quote, but it's not at all surprising and I'm sure Turnbull knows it's not true. It's a throwaway line designed to be picked up by liberal supporters who don't know anything about the internet so they can regurgitate it at water-cooler conversations. Liberal supporters who do know about the internet would either admit Labor's design is better or fall back on economic rational arguments against the NBN.

Turnbull's design is cheaper because it was designed to be cheaper so that it fits within the mantra of the Coalition - 'we can do it for less'.

What's most striking about the situation, putting politics aside, is the question of how to reap the rewards of the mining boom, which is a short term/one-off thing. Some people were talking about a sovereign wealth fund (esp. before the GFC). A sovereign wealth fund is a very dumb (thoughtless, unmanaged) option particularly when there are so many opportunities for national infrastructure projects, like road or rail projects or energy grid or public transport expansions or any number of things. A telecommunications network is absolutely in this category.

Then you look at Australia's circumstances: the aging copper network, incredibly expensive to maintain; very large land area creating logistical barriers to commerce; one of the most extreme population ratio between urban and rural areas in the world. The NBN really is uniquely positioned amongst infrastructure projects to address so many Australia-specific circumstances...

Lasly, there's a really appealing egalitarian consideration for me which is that the urban masses will subsidise the delivery of an equal service to those in rural areas. Consider the saying a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. We only need to look at the last 15 years of network development to see that a free market system only cares about those at one end of the chain - those who live in the cities.
                    I'm an admin on DangerZone, add me on steam if you need something.

Comment

Nothing wrong with having internet speeds as being a primary voting card.
                      You think the internet is only used from home for playing games and watching movies?
                      Many people run a small business or work from home (96% of Australia in fact). Compare that when you look at the HFC foot print and how many businesses are outside the city district and it's pretty bloody important.
                      Having fibre in our office has opened up doors to clients in Dubai, China, Abu Dhabi, Tanzania... Multi-usering 3D Tekla models around the world, showing the client or the builder live on the other side of the world is a pretty good feeling, try doing it from home because the time differences is frustrating as hell and not worth the trouble, usually end up back in the office in PJs.

Anyway, peace!

Comment

Comment

Besides that's not the reason YOU want faster internet speeds, i think things like human rights, the economy, public service funding, education, international politics etc all take a priority over who has the better internet plan. technology infrastructure should be an important issue but i'm not going to value that over the issue of the concentration camps we run. or even better tony abbotts great idea to break international law and try and send refugees to indonesia, an i dea i'm sure they'll fucking love.

Comment

Of course tax payers money would be better spent on things like the economy, public service funding, roads, education etc...
                            Which will still be spent on those things because the NBN isn't funded by tax payers money but through government bonds
                            http://nbnmyths.wordpress.com/how-are-we-paying-for-it/

Comment

that's not what i was talking about

Comment

Working...
                              X