Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AusNS2 Draft Tournament Discussion [Bring Your Flame Retardant Suit] [And your Teddy Bear]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AusNS2 Draft Tournament Discussion [Bring Your Flame Retardant Suit] [And your Teddy Bear]

I predict NOS A will win this draft tournament
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/scatterbrains

Confusion.

Comment

happy with my 2 wins against these stacked teams yo.

Comment

Pick more wisely in future obviously.

Comment

I think the picking works both ways. Whilst it's nice to say 'pick more wisely' to some of the teams with less-experienced players, they were essentially doing what this tournament was intended for - picking up new players and getting them involved in competitive play.

I'd argue that any team stacked with experienced players who have played together before actually picked against the spirit of the event. Which they are welcome to do if they so choose.

Comment

You seem to have missed the point of the draft tournament, obviously. I Picked perfectly fine kthx.

Comment

Originally posted by Scatter View Post
              Pick more wisely in future obviously.
              This sort of attitude is pretty piss poor. This is what I have been talking about in the past.

Originally posted by Taz View Post
              I think the picking works both ways. Whilst it's nice to say 'pick more wisely' to some of the teams with less-experienced players, they were essentially doing what this tournament was intended for - picking up new players and getting them involved in competitive play.

I'd argue that any team stacked with experienced players who have played together before actually picked against the spirit of the event. Which they are welcome to do if they so choose.
              Pretty much this.

Originally posted by NSAuroN2 View Post
              You seem to have missed the point of the draft tournament, obviously. I Picked perfectly fine kthx.
              Yep. Some really fun games. I haven't played with Archon at all and I haven't played with edoggy for like somewhere around 6-9 months. Never heard of Xanax until recently, he's a pretty cool dude and is pretty decent. I've only started playing with Sarah and Auron in the past one to two weeks. I haven't played with redbean for aaaggeess. (Probably in pugs around 7 months ago?). This was Xanax's first introduction to 6v6 games and our team had heaps of fun and good moments. Unfortunately we still haven't been able to get in contact with DR1VEN yet, does anyone know their steam profile id?
              sigpic steam://friends/add/76561198028094608

Comment

To those having knee-jerk moral outrage at my comment, I put it to you that you are the ones who have missed the point completely and that it is because of your lack of understanding of how to create even teams, and fantasy land views of human behavior, there are uneven teams. The draft tournament certainly has the goal of exposing new players to competitive ns2, but simply putting them in a team and telling them to go play against this other team without any consideration for the compositions is simply stupid.

Here is the situation: you had a lot of big ego competitive players as the team captains who then OBVIOUSLY are going to pick the best players they can. This system would have worked perfectly fine if all the captains had picked the best players first and then moved on to the least experienced, resulting in 8 teams with reasonably even compositions of high skilled, medium skill and low skilled players which could have all been rotated through quite nicely. Instead what happened is you have a clueless captain like Auron (who types like a child btw with his "sydneh" and "kthnx", and is now a moderator on the UWE forums which is an interesting reflection on the state of things) who thinks he, by stacking his team with newer/less experienced players, is doing them a favour as he thinks this is the only way they'll get to play. What happens then is you have the blind leading the blind which not only leads to stomps (not fun for new players) but also prevents any useful information being passed on between the experience levels of players. It also has the effect of not allowing players to shine and thus be picked up by clans.

Simply throwing people into a team of other inexperienced people and then saying "you are now playing competitive NS2, isn't this fun" is just stupid.

BTW this happened last draft tournament and I knew it would happen again. C'est la vie, I don't really mind anyway as at least there will be some fun had.
                Last edited by Scatter; 19-01-2014, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Have to say Dicks have been doing a lot better than I thought we would. I've only played with 2 of the players previously, yet everyone has gotten along really well. Some enjoyable games for us yesterday. Missing a couple of those who we had in our team but still a good turn out for us with 8 players.

Comment

I think i recall bonage saying in mumble to everyone before the draft started to not just pick people you know and have a repeat of last torny.
                    I guess the shame here is that most of the newer players will just have fewer enjoyable games. So we all lose at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by OldWick View Post
                      I think i recall bonage saying in mumble to everyone before the draft started to not just pick people you know and have a repeat of last torny.
                      I guess the shame here is that most of the newer players will just have fewer enjoyable games. So we all lose at the end of the day.
                      Agreed also.

Comment

T

Here is the situation: you had a lot of big ego competitive players as the team captains who then OBVIOUSLY are going to pick the best players they can. This system would have worked perfectly fine if all the captains had picked the best players first and then moved on to the least experienced, resulting in 8 teams with reasonably even compositions of high skilled, medium skill and low skilled players which could have all been rotated through quite nicely.
                        This is the idea of the draft tournament. I think I made a rule for my last draft tournament that your lineup had to have atleast 2 new players per round as well..

Also a big problem with leadership in this community. There is more then enough people capable of leading a draft team, yet I who was not even at the draft selection process got elected as a captain because no one wanted to stand up and manage a team.

Comment

Maybe next draft torny we could mix it up and try something different. Like having only two teams, within the teams of say 30 people each you would combat the other team with any 6 who hadn't already played with each other to gets points for your team or that each player only got a total of 3 or so games. Maybe even have a draft style at picking your players for the matches so that you don't get out matched.

Comment

@Scatter:
                            With your sort of attitude pugs basically turned into and were the same 12-15 people playing each other over and over again while the rest never got picked. With the games I've played so far it's been completely far from a stomp, our (GoN.) team has played very well in our matches. Just because it says we lost and tied a few games doesn't mean it was a stomp - far from it. I'm sorry with my judgement on you, however whenever I see it it's basically an elitist "no fun allowed" attitude to me.

You do make a few points, however I tend to disagree with consideration of composition. Players play at a certain skill range and never at their peak all the time, and there are so many factors that go into their performance that all you can do is really guess. But there is a consideration to give about where players tend to play consistently at which is what you're most likely referring to. There's also picking the best first and saving the worst or unknown for last, which leaves not many chances for players to shine.
                            I've also like never heard experienced players giving out proper comp tips outside of the basic like pub skills as well, except for Killswitch and another person who I can't remember when I was in HeX. There are a few players in the community who tend to rage as well ingame when things aren't going their way and tend to blame other players for when they die, I don't think any of that has happened in the draft tournament thankfully however it usually happens when experienced players play alongside less experienced players and instead of calmly pointing out mistakes the experienced player yells them out angrily.
                            The teams aren't that bad either, I don't care if other people view teams as stacked or not because I don't care and I don't view things like that. Every player can die. I wasn't complaining about a 'stack' scatter, I was more commenting on my disappointment of seeing so many players who usually play together on the same teams.

It's not an attack on you Scatter, it's just that I disagree with the way you and a few others think when it comes to these sort of things. Clearly you disagree with me as you have displayed in the past, and that's okay. If my words come off a bit strongly it's just because I think back to all the negative experiences I had when I first started trying to get into the AusNS2 community competition scene which basically caused me to leave it and almost give up NS2. Now nine months later I'm willing to give it another go and try to get back in, and I just don't want other newer players having repeats of my experiences.
                            sigpic steam://friends/add/76561198028094608

Comment

Originally posted by OldWick View Post
                              I think another point of view (alongside having fun games/winning) is that with a nice balance of the veterans/rookies there can be more knowledge being passed around to newer people like myself which doesn't happen with a fully-stacked or a fully-rookie team.

In the hour or so of sitting there having a couple of games - despite losing a few games and playing kinda poorly myself - I learnt about 50 new things within the short space of time from mF and beq, along with the other more experienced folks on my team which was something I was hoping to gain from participating, so even just on that I'm really appreciative, and I can't wait until the next set of rounds.
                              DUCKVILLE - eSports Shoutcaster and eSports fanatic - Check me out on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X