"NS2 hit reg is fine" You sure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "NS2 hit reg is fine" You sure?

3 blood sprays + flesh impact sounds then die when he was facing the other way
    Last edited by bonage; 13-12-2014, 12:10 AM.

No net_stats while recording thus invalid data - Ironhorse 2014
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/scatterbrains

Comment

*waves hand*
      There is nothing wrong with ns2 hit rego
      The Flying Fish: "i think i gave you a compliment actually"

Comment

The marine looks like he's warping which will stuff up reg anyway. There's a 2nd marine outside the room who is shooting you also.

Until they fix the collision box issues this will always be a problem from time to time. The netcode in this game is actually pretty good - it's one of the reasons why high ping play is actually possible (even as unenjoyable as it is).

Comment

Originally posted by bonage View Post
          The marine looks like he's warping which will stuff up reg anyway. There's a 2nd marine outside the room who is shooting you also.

Until they fix the collision box issues this will always be a problem from time to time. The netcode in this game is actually pretty good - it's one of the reasons why high ping play is actually possible (even as unenjoyable as it is).
          ^^ CLAMOS

Comment

Originally posted by bonage View Post

^collision box issues is one of the biggest problems people have aiming at ground skulks including skulks who seem to somehow get smaller hitboxes infront of your face.
            ~Archie

Comment

According to the video........and from what my eyes see.........you totally missed the bites.

Comment

Yeah those don't look like the most direct bites tbh. The last one was the only one that wasn't highly questionable, and it could have been a case of "you got killed before you even got the last bite in but it just wasn't updated on your client yet" considering you died pretty much directly afterwards. For the other two, between the warping and how much of an angle you hit them on, I'm not surprised they didn't register even if there was blood and sound-effects.

Comment

first 2 bites missed. you were dead before the 3rd one. RIP

Comment

Er what? He didn't miss those bites client side...
                    AusNS2 Admin, CDT Member

Comment

you can clearly tell he misses those first 2 bites. and he was killed b4 he landed the 3rd bite.

Comment

They do look like they miss, but as video says, all 3 bites draw blood and make the flesh-piercing sound (can't hear it in slow mo, my bad -.-)

Surely the server has something to do with the game reading audio/video cue but not damage?

Comment

1st bite looks 50/50 if it would land or not
                          2nd bite looks like a big wiff
                          3rd bite you died, on your screen you might of got the bite but the server dun care

Comment

Audio cues, hit indicators and blood are client side. The only thing which is reliable for telling you if something hit are damage numbers (hence why damage numbers are slightly delayed), or hit indicators if you use NS2+. Those first 2 bites the client registers a hit because the marine is barely within the bite cone but on the server the marine has already moved out.
                            Last edited by philogl; 13-12-2014, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by philogl View Post
                              Audio cues, hit indicators and blood are client side. The only thing which is reliable for telling you if something hit are damage numbers (hence why damage numbers are slightly delayed), or hit indicators if you use NS2+. Those first 2 bites the client registers a hit because the marine is barely within the bite cone but on the server the marine has already moved out.
                              Ahhhhhhhhhh.... This is all I needed. Didn't know what exactly was serverside/clientside in NS2.

So if I understand correctly, with an effective ping difference of ~60ms between Hools and I (I had 20, he had ~40 i think) this means the bite was only in range of the marine on my screen for maximum 60ms, in which time Hools' hitbox actually moved out of range serverside?

That would explain why it would be hard to tell, for both bites, whether they actually hit or not (IF you had to judge based on teeth positioning relative to the marine, and there was no such thing as blood spray)

HOWEVER there is blood spray. on every bite. Which proves they landed clientside (Right?)

So if all of the above is true, to everyone who said the bites missed, I'm confused. Unless you have some way of seeing what happened serverside, on what basis are you telling me they missed?
                              Last edited by Calmos; 13-12-2014, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X