Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS2 World Championship

Press release:
    Natural Selection 2 is played by people all over the world. The NS2 community contributes casting, maps, bug fixes, competitive players, art, playtesters and ideas from all corners of the planet.

Thanks to the tyranny of distance, all those wonderful people have never had an opportunity to play the game they love together, in the same room. Oceans, mountain ranges, rivers and valleys separate players who have formed friendships, teams and trust through the war between Frontiersmen and Kharaa. Until today.

This is the Natural Selection 2 World Championship. This is open to every player, every team, and everyone on Earth. Whether you play NS2 in Australia, Brazil, France, the United States, Singapore or anywhere else - This is your competition, and this is your chance to participate in the biggest event the NS world has ever seen.

Accepting any entrant, the tournament will run towards the end of 2013. A group round robin format will lead to four final teams. No matter where these four teams are on the planet, they will all be flown to Koln, Germany in March 2014 for a live studio finals series. Both the semi and grand finals will be played live in front of the cameras, on the front page of Twitch.TV, with casting by the best commentators in the NS2 community.

To make this happen, we need your help. Unknown Worlds, the developers of Natural Selection 2, have committed to directly paying for the ESLTV studio in Cologne, and the front page takeover of Twitch.TV. That is two of the three major expenses. The third is travel: And that is where we, the NS2 community, must come together and match the Unknown Worlds contribution.

To bring together twenty-four players and a handful of casters, we need to raise $30,000. Why so much money? Simple arithmetic. Players will be coming from every corner of the Earth. To fly and house a team from Australia, Brazil, or the United States will cost well over $1,000 per player. Not every player will cost that much - Many will be European, but even then the costs will be significant.

Raising $30,000 guarantees that we can fly every player to Koln, no matter what. Should we spend less than $30,000 on travel expenses, we will put every single unspent dollar into the event prize pool. Depending on where the four teams come from, this could yield a prize pool of thousands of dollars.

Contribute now. This is our chance to take the game we love to the world stage: To see South American take on North America, Australasia take on Europe - All with no lag, live on stage, in the same room. No matter where you are on Earth, this is our moment to unite as a community and produce an event like nothing the world has ever seen
    AusNS2.org is proud to be supporting the teams and staff in what should be an absolutely amazing tournament for players around the world. If you would like more information, or would like to support the tournament head to www.naturalselection2.com/championship/ or www.gofundme.com/ns2worldchampionship. This is a fantastic opportunity for players here in Australia and we are very excited to see how it unfolds!
    AusNS2 Admin, CDT Member

Cool that it's happening. Unsurprised that Hugh is still hopeless at hype & PR.
    -/AUS/- PS_Mouse

Comment

Yeah very excited about the tournament, but unfortunately many people were disappointed with the announcement. The hype turned into people thinking it was something else, like matchmaking or f2p.

Still very excited, should be good.
      AusNS2 Admin, CDT Member

Comment

Biggest concern is that they won't make the 30,000, or even come close to half of that. They've just had a huge community funding project (reinforced) that is still ongoing so I can't see players racing to donate again. If they don't make the target, then they get none of the funds.

Comment

If they get 30 grand in donations, I am going to be amazed. As much as I love the idea of Natural Selection (even though NS2 doesn't do it right) I'm fucking sick of giving them money. No more.

TBH I would of rather the announcement to have been that it was going free to play.

Even if it does happen, the game is in desperate need of some serious bug fixing and another balance overhaul.
          Last edited by Jekt; 13-10-2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Yeah I can't see them hitting the target, and even if they do it still seems like a waste of money/time. They should encourage more people to donate to Reinforced rather than split their interests between more content and tournaments. With all the donation drives it seems like the company is running on fumes and it hardly seems the time to produce an event that not many people will watch anyway - especially if Europe clean sweeps again and most of the stream is filler, like fuckin' facepainting

Comment

Suicide doing this.. they are retarded. NS2 has a tiny player base, 1% of that play competitive and they are raising funds to fly a select group of nerds across country to play on twitch.tv in Germany. Whats the fucking point...

Wake up UWE, NS2 is boring to watch on stream unless you know exactly what is happenign. This won't attract new players...

/edit: Probably a bit of an overreaction... Its a crowd-sourced fundraising event simply organised by UWE. Any league organiser could of done something similar. This won't detract anything from the game, as the dev's working on the game won't be working on this league. Just seems silly with the way they advertise it that its the biggest thing to happen in NS2.
              Last edited by mf-; 13-10-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mf- View Post
                Suicide doing this.. they are retarded. NS2 has a tiny player base, 1% of that play competitive and they are raising funds to fly a select group of nerds across country to play on twitch.tv in Germany. Whats the fucking point...

Wake up UWE, NS2 is boring to watch on stream unless you know exactly what is happenign. This won't attract new players...
                After much thought I have to agree with mf and jekt here -- with such a small player base, we'll likely be seeing the same teams in the finals. Whilst this tournament is a community drive (from the likes of wasabi and zefram) and not a direct thing from uwe itself, the message was kind of lost once it started to be a little overhyped and marketed to sound like a UWE initiative.

Also, people have just donated $150 000, they arnt going to want to cough up more so readily, esp without seeing any tangible changes yet. Realistically, the only people donating will be comp players wanting to participate, and even then that's a stretch. As much as i'd love to see an aus team play on the world stage, i think they've missed a crucial step. Developing regions first. Helping to fund and grow regional communities scenes in places like Asia & South America combined with the $150 000 going towards bug fixes, performance fixes and content the community wants would have been the logical first step before doing a world comp.

Comment

No idea what UWE hopes to achieve with this.

It seems as though they had planned to hold a World Champs when they were in an acceptable position to do so with regards to finances and gameplay fixes/balance. They have not yet reached that point and rather than adapt the plan and postpone or scrap the World Champs, they just continued to blunder forward, without addressing more meaningful concerns of the community.

Maybe players over in the EU and USA have a different opinion, since they're the real target for the "World" Championships.

Comment

Originally posted by Crouch View Post
                    Maybe players over in the EU and USA have a different opinion, since they're the real target for the "World" Championships.
                    America is the world. Haven't you heard?

Comment

So, people seem to misinterpreting what this is. Let me address one thing.

It doesn't stop development in any way. The date of the event is March 2014 so, we probably will see those improvements before the event/games. This leaves plenty of time for the improvements people are craving. Who knows, maybe this announcement will draw some competitive players back in.

It is completely independent of UWE and they did not initiate this. They said it multiple times on stream. I'm baffled by some of the responses that continue to flame UWE even when they know its nothing to do with them.

If you aren't interested, don't donate and participate and if you are, support it. Simple as that.
                      AusNS2 Admin, CDT Member

Comment

Not everybody watched the stream. It's all up on their facebook, twitter, youtube, and their own website. There's nothing in the text about who's organizing it apart from a small blurb at the start (that's not even the main body of the article and is just a preface) and very end - could be wrong though cause i only just skimmed it to check then. Also, UWE is matching half the funds.

Thus, I for one am not baffled that people would assume UWE involvement. It's hardly even a misinterpretation cause lets face it - Charlie and Hugh are gonna be right up in dat shit. Even if UWE aren't organizing, it's not 'completely independent' of them, nor does it have 'nothing to do with them'.
                        Last edited by d0ped0g; 13-10-2013, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Pretty much concur with Jekt and mf.

Still waiting for performance to be back at luaJIT release levels, variable server settings/interp, and maps that aren't laggy (docking, biodome) before I invest several fucks into an international lagfest.
                          http://steamcommunity.com/id/scatterbrains

Comment

Ok sorry, correction: they are a sponsor. Nothing more.
                            AusNS2 Admin, CDT Member

Comment

I just don't like that UWE is cash sponsoring them. That is money being spent on a very small number of people who play NS2 competitively, in my opinion it should be spent on the backbone of the NS2 community, pub players.

I am all for community organised and funded events, but as soon as UWE starts exclusively funding a select few when many of us have donated under the expectation that content and fixes will be a priority, I get a little pissed. If they have the money to sponsor this, then why are they asking for us to donate to the reinforcement program like they've been bleed dry?!

It feels like the NS2 government has implied they will provide improved healthcare and public transport, and then they blow the money hosting the lawn bowls 2014 World Championships! (Sorry for the shitty metaphor best I could come up with)

Comment

Working...
                              X