Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISP and warping

Hi all,

Quick poll to check out which ISP's you are on - I've noticed that the majority of people with poor connections and warping seem to be on TPG - wondering if this is actually a thing and more than just speculation.

For the people on TPG - do you all get poor performance to servers except dangerzone?
    Telstra
    32.50%
    Optus
    22.50%
    TPG
    12.50%
    Internode
    7.50%
    iinet
    12.50%
    Dodo
    5.00%
    other (specify below)
    5.00%
    Exectel
    2.50%
    iPrimus
    0.00%

Anyone that kills me has shitty internet and is warping everywhere. Fact.

heuehuehEUheUheue

Comment

4g on iinet is miles ahead of TPG adsl2. That pretty much sums up how bad TPG is.

Comment

As an IT Networky nerd type person I must interject sir.

There are many reasons as to why a person may warp. For example my housemate is an absolute torrent whore and doesnt understand the meaning of capping the connection.

That and i'm sure he's on redtube most of the night when his GF is not here.

Best,
        Pete

Comment

i think most people are smart enough to turn their torrents off before warping all over the place.

Unfortunately, everyone that seems to complain about the servers other than dangerzone seem to be on TPG. Can routing affect this? Packet loss? Help me understand why these people cant play on any other server without complaining more than usual.
          Last edited by bonage; 21-11-2014, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bonage View Post
            Can routing affect this? Packet loss?
            Yes, yes.

Some budget ISPs have deals with their upstream providers to route local (and international) traffic through strange or roundabout places in order to cut costs. TPG do this.

Some budget ISPs over-commit the amount of customers they have in regards to how much bandwidth they actually can handle in one geographical location. i.e. TPG released unlimited DL plans on ADSL2+ however they simply don't have the capacity to service everyone downloading at once, but they bank on the fact that their average internet user won't notice and hence won't complain. This is called "high contention-ratio" and the adverse effect is called "backhaul congestion".

If you like playing games that require low ping, stay away from TPG unless you can get their NBN or FTTB products.
            Last edited by kid; 21-11-2014, 10:55 AM.

Comment

westnet. Warping is caused my loss/choke. Happens a lot in CS where your ping is perfect but you have like 50% loss warping all over the joint.

That, and ping spiking obviously.
              Last edited by nezz; 21-11-2014, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bonage View Post
                i think most people are smart enough to turn their torrents off before warping all over the place.
                Some people also have asshole housemates who torrent 500gb/month and don't mind if you warp around on 300 ping when playing.

Also on Westnet.
                Last edited by Ram; 21-11-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram View Post
                  Some people also have asshole housemates who torrent 500gb/month and don't mind if you warp around on 300 ping when playing.

Also on Westnet.
                  You should show them how to limit their bandwidth with the Bittorrent scheduler. Say for example:
                  • 6-12pm - Max upload of 15 kb and Max download of 200kb.
                  • 12am-6pm - Full bandwidth available

This is how i solved my room mates trying to download during game time.

If they don't like that idea, you can specify bandwidth limitations on some ADSL2 routers. I know my tp-link adsl2 router can do this..

3rd option, install netlimiter on their machine. You can limit bandwidth per application, turn Bittorrent basically to non-existant but leave the rest on default. They will just think their torrents are running slow but be none the wiser.

If none of those fly, the only thing you can do is make sure you pay for the internet connection or run your own line. If you had to run your own line I would be pretty pissed, having a mature adult conversation with room mates and they still don't give a fuck would make me rage.
                  Last edited by mf-; 21-11-2014, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I'm on optus and never experience a slowdown nor cutout, though nbn fibre to the home does help. The only time we have actually lagged was when i intentionally lagged us.

Though I will Reccomend activ8 for all new nbn connectors simply for amazing routing and decent pings, minimal packet loss or slow down they have shit phone service though... One Chinese dude.

Also most servers hosted within Australia should be okay no matter which ISP, problem is I've seen first hand random isps from qld/Perth/Darwin/Melbourne randomly route via random loops which makes me scratch me head usually ends up going through Darwin+northern territory.

Delicious 3-4ms Sydney wide, it's like I'm holding my internet back (cry)
                    ~Archie

Comment

Originally posted by mf- View Post
                      You should show them how to limit their bandwidth with the Bittorrent scheduler. Say for example:
                      • 6-12pm - Max upload of 15 kb and Max download of 200kb.
                      • 12am-6pm - Full bandwidth available

This is how i solved my room mates trying to download during game time.

If they don't like that idea, you can specify bandwidth limitations on some ADSL2 routers. I know my tp-link adsl2 router can do this..

3rd option, install netlimiter on their machine. You can limit bandwidth per application, turn Bittorrent basically to non-existant but leave the rest on default. They will just think their torrents are running slow but be none the wiser.

If none of those fly, the only thing you can do is make sure you pay for the internet connection or run your own line. If you had to run your own line I would be pretty pissed, having a mature adult conversation with room mates and they still don't give a fuck would make me rage.
                      Appreciate the suggestions mf. This stuff has been on the to-do list for a while. Have been wondering about router bandwidth limiting since I use a hardline connection to the router, while most here use wireless the wireless. I've been hoping their is a way to cap bandwidth usage via the wireless to ensure there is enough left for gaming.

Comment

Ram, if you upgrade your modem make sure you do extensive research to ensure it limits bandwidth properly. a lot of modems offer QoS but they don't actually work. I learnt the hard way.

Comment

surprised by the number on telstra. internode is the best imo.
                          http://steamcommunity.com/id/scatterbrains

Comment

Slingshot.

Comment

Originally posted by nezz View Post
                              Ram, if you upgrade your modem make sure you do extensive research to ensure it limits bandwidth properly. a lot of modems offer QoS but they don't actually work. I learnt the hard way.
                              If you are interested in QoS, you could purchase a Gargoyle router. But be wary, QoS only works if you control both sides of the pipe (ie yourself and the server your downloading from and everything between). ISP will strip any QoS markings on packets, so your QoS will only work for your own network and never past it.

If someone sends information down your pipe its being treated as normal internet traffic until it hits your router. Guess what.. its too late then.

You can use QoS for upload traffic however. Note, the ISP still strip any QoS Markings from your packets (except VoIP), but you can still give order of preference for what you want to send first. This is quite important if you have ADSL and latency dependent applications such as games/VoIP.

Why is it important for ADSL? Even though its a full-duplex technology, when you download a file it typically uses TCP which means you are constantly sending back and forth SYN and SYN-ACKS. This means that for every packet you receive, you need to send a response to who you are downloading from confirming you received the packet without any errors.

Host A -> packet -> Host B
                              Host A <- Acknowledge Packet <- Host B
                              Host A -> Packet #2 -> Host B
                              Host A <- Packet #2 Acknowledge <- Host B

If you have no upload speed left, then your download is crippled because you can only send back packet acknowledgements at a certain speed.

Hence using QoS for Gaming/VoIP can work if you know what you're doing....

Nezz is correct though, only specific models of hardware support custom firmwares with fully functional QoS. The stuff provided by most vendors doesn't even work properly, they don't provide documentation on how to implement QoS and its a bit of a joke.

I recommend using this...

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/...gargoyle_setup
                              Last edited by mf-; 21-11-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X