Mod ideas for any modders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod ideas for any modders

"what mods do you want on the server that won't change game-play but keep it vanilla" i was asked.

Got me thinking how we have a bunch of modifications that change the skin of weapons, player models and or different weapons.

I was wondering if there was any mods but there are no ways to actually show other people your model in game, which made my synapses click again.

Customise player menu, shared to all players based on what custom model and skins server is running? i remember siege-mod had that DLC skins enabled for all players if they went into customisation menu and it shared the models to anyone who didn't have them(i know that the skins that were enabled for everyone they already had on there computers) I was wondering if anyone has thought about it much if at all. Why not have the server list a bunch of skins, or mods that are running and allow players to choose from the customisation menu?

I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to look into it? the idea as server admin is to be able to select skins/mods allowed on your server, have config compile and update, when joining players download specific skins, keeping in mind this could be a huge download, but beneficial if you are playing on a fun server which is mostly vanilla. Hence it admins itself, most people won't join a server where there are hugely retarded amounts of skins since it'd take a while to download, no one joins, no one plays, admins reduce the amount.

Unrelated/related below

Another mod idea, using something like webadmin but just for workshop mods, in this case a seperate config, which server admins can click to subscribe directly to a config file, no need to add -J53R35 etc, simply like and click, that way your skin mods or what ever are automatically added to the config.
    ~Archie

Weapons textures aren't that big. It would also be better for clients to download the textures from the workshop (and default to the vanilla skin), so the server doesn't have to host those textures. The server just gives a player/texture-workshop-id combination so clients know who has what texture.

Also, maybe if a comm has a texture pack for buildings, then all players see that texture for those buildings dropped by that comm. Might be a bit trickier, and a bigger download (meaning longer server join time: as if they weren't long enough)

My mod ideas are:
    - Fix NS2
    - Fix NS2 hit reg
    - Fix NS2 balance (JPs, flamers, etc)
    - Maybe a mod that removes Human PRes
    - Maybe a mod that removes Alien Comm
    - Maybe a mod that removes comming altogether, and gives players upgrade points based on points (from kills and assists, etc)
    - Maybe a mod that gives you more customisations with HUD
    - Maybe a mod that gives more in-game server control

Comment

Originally posted by Epic_Wink View Post
      Weapons textures aren't that big. It would also be better for clients to download the textures from the workshop (and default to the vanilla skin), so the server doesn't have to host those textures. The server just gives a player/texture-workshop-id combination so clients know who has what texture.

Also, maybe if a comm has a texture pack for buildings, then all players see that texture for those buildings dropped by that comm. Might be a bit trickier, and a bigger download (meaning longer server join time: as if they weren't long enough)

My mod ideas are:
      - Fix NS2
      - Fix NS2 hit reg
      - Fix NS2 balance (JPs, flamers, etc)
      - Maybe a mod that removes Human PRes
      - Maybe a mod that removes Alien Comm
      - Maybe a mod that removes comming altogether, and gives players upgrade points based on points (from kills and assists, etc)
      - Maybe a mod that gives you more customisations with HUD
      - Maybe a mod that gives more in-game server control
      To answer yours.

The thing is, currently NS2 doesn't allow you to download a mod while in game, so it's not possible for clients to tell server/players what mod is active and activate it for other people to download while in game, hence why we need a framework for it to work, which is why i suggested shared customisation menu based on what skins server has added to its own config. You cannot integrate NS2 workshop APIs withen NS2 as it's not a feature that was integrated, the only thing you can use is the workshop itself.

There was some talk of server-side mod redundancy behind closed doors and scatted around on the forum, but there's be no update since then.

Scatter has toyed with the idea of removing comming altogther, i think he had stability issues among other things, not sure how it progressed maybe i can get him to elaborate some more, main problem is, no one would even want to play it due to it fucking with vanilla too much.

Human pres has been removed in favour of tres, but people complained 'muh freedoms

There is a mod which removes alien comm and gives back the gorge its full potential, yet we don't see it since that in itself for NS2 is a massive balance change for obvious reasons

NS2+ and or CHUD (what it used to be called) does allow you to customise, what sort of customisations would you be talking about

Mod that gives more in-game server control, hmm could you maybe elaborate some more on this?

Fix hitreg etc is not really possible to be modded out, that's more of a problem with the networking stack which cannot be touched by .lua files, that is being worked on however by matso and 2 other people with the help like server hosts such as scatter and a few community members who fuck around quite alot, this is one that is coming, but very very slowly

With all that said, customisation mods like this keep things more lively on some servers.
      ~Archie

Comment

I'd go the other way with the comm situation; a mod to make Alien and Marine comm more involved and more essential (maybe more fun), also more like they are calling the strategic shots rather than simply reacting.

How, I don't know. Only thing I can think of is doubling all structure health

Also
        -A mod to 'bank' beacons
        -Scan grenades (a single ping, lasting a second or so)
        -Dark maps
        -A setting that if you have a welder pressing E to build uses the welder
        -Crags reduced to 12r, shifts to 15 and whips to 10 ;D
        -Dynamic maps (doors that open after a time like siege, etc)

Comment

No one wants to play overhaul mods and no one wants to play custom maps. People will play and tolerate crap pub game play and marine stomps on summit and tram till the bitter end as long as it is 'official', even if official is dead wrong. Just have to hope that the people in charge have a clue (repair/sorting spawn on mineshaft indicate what...).

Usually you'll just get people saying "it's fine" about every aspect of the game because they happen to be good at particular mechanic. Even if its shit for the game and player retention.
          http://steamcommunity.com/id/scatterbrains

Comment

In response to eff, all my mod suggestions were a joke sorry (all except the first two were already mods. For those interested, starting from idea #3: CompMod, No PRes, NSclassic (ish), Combat, NS2+, Shine).

But that sucks about not being able to download mods mid-game, but still we have to download mods before connecting...

I complain about hit reg because mine is actually somehow worse than my accuracy. I've noticed a drop since I moved from cable to adsl2+ (within 10 minutes walk), not because of NS2 issues. Having said that, I do get better hit reg in other games...

I agree with mods that keep the game vanilla (eg mod that pressing e on unbuilt structure with welder in inventory forces welder), but the others people won't play on if given a choice. That limits to mostly aeshetic mods

Having asked these questions, what's the topic of the thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Epic_Wink View Post
              I complain about hit reg because mine is actually somehow worse than my accuracy. I've noticed a drop since I moved from cable to adsl2+ (within 10 minutes walk), not because of NS2 issues. Having said that, I do get better hit reg in other games...

Having asked these questions, what's the topic of the thread?

interleaving on or off on your adsl2+ line is it on fast or lo? what modem/router model? what distance are you from your telephone exchange/DSLAM and or termination point? you can check this by your attenuation on your line, so go to your modem/routers stats, grab the signal noise ratio/snr and your attenuation, gimmie some details.

I can help you as much as i can to increase your packet flow to be a bit faster and game oriented , what is your ping in game, and location?
              Last edited by eff; 20-04-2015, 03:40 PM.
              ~Archie

Comment

In Perth with 1.5mb from speedtest on a good day with snr tweaks plus whatever else I could possibly change.... Can you fix my potato internet?!
                <-- At the very end of the exchange. fml.
                The Flying Fish: "i think i gave you a compliment actually"

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                  In Perth with 1.5mb from speedtest on a good day with snr tweaks plus whatever else I could possibly change.... Can you fix my potato internet?!
                  <-- At the very end of the exchange. fml.

No probably not, Perth is on mars is it not? Actually :P, as with you as with him, modem model. I'll help, also if your line has terrible SNR iin the first place, you shouldn't even be tweaking your SNR, keep in mind, 110ms(interleaving lo, high snr) vs 70ms(interleaving fast, high SNR) you're almost always going to get better hit-registration with the 110ms, simply because your line has alot of noise, thus assuming that you are only getting 1.5mb on your line.

Windows registry tweaks done with TCP Optimiser should help minimally if you have high SNR, but if your attenuation is high it can still be helped with TCP Optimiser.

I'll also need to know things such as what authentication method is being used, PPPoe or PPPoA? I will give more explaination whence you've given more data.

Wifi or Ethernet.
                  ~Archie

Comment

I think it would be nice to get custom shoulder badge/patches for teams perhaps?

replaces the "vanilla/dlc" patches like:

hopefully doesn't break servers when they get patch :S
                    Last edited by fleas; 20-04-2015, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I'll start work on clan patches ASAP, just gonna experiment with how large i can fully make them without being tacky and the quality of images i'll hopefully get them chucked onto Australian servers. I was actually playing NS1 yesterday on my terrible laptop and i realised that they had taken down the icon servers, there's actually no reason i can't also make it so other parts of your body can have the same attachment(though my laptop can barely run 3dsmax, so i'll have to look into that when it comes around.

^I mentioned it a few times in 2008-9 on the UWE forum when those things were being talked about, i was like can constellation and vet/pts get there badges mirrored onto there shoulders? next thing you can they decide to bring shoulder patches out.
                      ~Archie

Comment

Got a PM from one of you and no other replies or messages to this thread, if you seriously want help do it, if you are also getting 40-100ms you might have interleaving on lo on your line, if you have lowish levels of SNR/noise on your line you might benefit from changing it to high(for this you need to contact your ISP and ask for it, should cut your ping-times by half)

But i recommend you do reply to this thread rather then PM since it can help everyone.
                        ~Archie

Comment

Hey man I thank ye for your time for writing about the tweaks, just haven't had much time at home and when I do I just want to plonk my arse on the chair and pew pew some gorge spit then go to bed :P
                          The Flying Fish: "i think i gave you a compliment actually"

Comment

would somebody be kind enough o make me an xhair ? i just want a simple green dot with hit markers for rines and just a green dot for parra Basically the same as judes xhair for samurai but with out the melee

Comment

Originally posted by openyafaceup View Post
                              would somebody be kind enough o make me an xhair ? i just want a simple green dot with hit markers for rines and just a green dot for parra Basically the same as judes xhair for samurai but with out the melee
                              You can make your own pretty easy by dl paint.net then subing to a simple dot x-hair with hit indicators. If you can use paint you will have no trouble changing the dot to green.

Comment

Working...
                              X