Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimum hardware for NS2????

Hey everyone,

I've been experiencing some fairly bad frame rates in NS2 lately which is why I've stopped playing for a while. When NS2 was originally released in 2012, I was able to play on full graphics settings without much drop in frames. Now, during large firefights, it becomes extremely difficult for me to aim properly and I end up dying to skulks glitching and teleporting around in mid-air. I applied lower graphics settings a few months ago which helped, but only slightly. And no, I don't play with full creep graphics enabled.

My question is:
    Have any of you experienced the same issue after some of the recent updates to NS2?
    What is your frame-rate like during large fights?
    What components are in your machine?

My PC can run BF3 on ultra just fine, its 3 years old now but is still fairly decent for gaming. I'm planning to build a new rig when the Haswell CPUs are released.

My specs are as follows:

i7 930 Processor @ 3.4GHz
    12GB DDR3 1600MHz Ram
    GeForce GTX570 OC Gigabyte
    SSD Hard Drive

Everything you have is fine except the CPU, I don't know if OC that will help too much (it will help but ...) tbh, I think you just need a newer model.

Comment

I thought the i7 930 was still a powerful CPU still...but i guess its only the first gen. I've had a look at task manager during ns2 play, and the usage doesnt go past 50 percent. Weird!

Comment

every ns2 player walks into the room: "lmao you gotta overclock and watercool that badboy. run it at 4.5GHz min idiot ur playin in the stone ages"

Comment

Pretty much what TFF said. NS2 runs pretty well > 4Ghz. Although even then it'll still go to 60 with all the stupid late game shit going on. Particles fucking everywhere and what not.

Comment

I'm getting the feeling NS2 renders its graphics with a bag of potatos. The engine must be fairly shit.

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthr...t=45123&page=1

^^ Just in case you're wanting a good read. I think ill be building a new rig when Haswell comes out.

Comment

Yeah, typically a cpu with more threads the better, and overclocked. Its really weird that it isn't doing so well because the i7 930 has 8 threads. To give you an example of just how badly this game does on a beast machine, I have my 3770k overclocked to 4.6 ghz with a GTX680 and it still takes a dip late game... I do get 120-140 fps with all settings turned down, which is how I prefer to play NS2 anyways. You still have a ballin gpu though!
              AusNS2 Admin, CDT Member

Comment

More threads won't help shit (unless you're talking up to a quad).

Comment

NS2 does most of its stuff (apart from loading maps) on one thread. That's why clockspeed tends to be the bottleneck (unless your graphics card is shite)
                  -/AUS/- PS_Mouse

Comment

If you have multicore rendering enabled it will use the second thread for rendering, the reason I imagine having a quad is better than having a dual even though it only uses 2 threads is that the other 2 unused threads can be used for background applications while the first 2 get dedicated to the game. Not sure if it's smart enough to do this though.

I have an i7 2600k, actually ended up disabling HT so I could clock higher once I realised that I have no need for 8 threads at all.

Comment

I had to push my 6-core AMD 1055T from 3.0 to 3.7 to get decent performance out of it. Whilst my other 5 cores sit there twiddling their thumbs.

Comment

Stop playing on I live for the stomp and your NS2 experience will greatly improve.

Comment

Ah sorry my mistake, I got it mixed up, although for future games and games coming out that are, you know, developed properly multicore support is becoming more important, am I right?
                          AusNS2 Admin, CDT Member

Comment

Multithreading will eventually become more supported however I hear it's a bitch to program and even once it does become supported, we're talking 2-4 threads max for a fair few years I'd imagine.

Comment

If NS2 doesn't utilize additional threads/cores, that would make sense. Still, I would've thought overclocking to have a bigger impact. So the GTX570 is still a decent card?
                              It shits me that in 2013, developers are still releasing software that don't take advantage of extra cores. It sounds like I could get similar performance out of an old Pentium 4 3GHz.
                              Haha yeah I love for stomp is infested with aids...I only play there if all other servers are full.

Comment

Working...
                              X